Monday 18 November 2013

Things I like about K-Drama Episode Two: Skinship

Written by Kidge.

Another thing that I both love and find frustrating about K dramas, is the concept of skinship. In Western films and television series, most romantic pairings have significant levels of casual touching before they kiss, and when they do make it to further bases, it is normally fairly explicit in nature. This, I feel, reflects Western culture which is fairly casual about public displays of affection. Although, can I just say, I still find it awkward when a couple is making out in public in front of me. Call me a prude, but I guess I feel that tongues going down each other’s throats should be kept to the confines of a room. Anyway….

The point I was getting to, was that in K dramas and films, even holding hands is a significant step towards intimacy. It was odd the first time I watched a drama and was squeeing over a couple finally touching one another’s hands! Never mind actually hugging or kissing! Those moments become precious nuggets of love where we get to see the couple break out of the polite boundaries of friendship/frenemies and move towards something…deeper.

That being said, skinship also causes great frustrations at times. One of my pet peeves is the whole girl standing in a rigor mortis like pose with eyes as wide open as possible, while the poor male places his lips on hers and attempts to make it look like a real kiss! I genuinely feel for the actor/actress when I see scenes which I’m quite sure involved standing with your lips stuck together in the same position for at least an hour, while the director films from every possible angle and at every degree of speed.

The awkwardness isn’t the only thing that grinds my gears. No, the worst bit is that it normally feels like a complete, utter, letdown. I mean, how can you possibly expect me to be satisfied with an eyes wide open kiss of death, after having watched sixteen episodes of stress inducing, heart pumping drama between a couple who got together, but had a falling out and are only just back together before the final bell rings AND…………………..that’s right, no reward at all. Sigh. Although, at least most dramas have the old startled deer kiss. The worst offenders are those that leave it out all together at the most necessary moment. *Cough* City Hunter *Cough*

It’s not just kissing though. I mean a grab of the wrist or a piggy back home after the lead female has had a few too many drinks, all become extremely potent advances in a relationship when casual touching is unavailable. It is what I love and find frustrating about K-dramas, and explains my dying need to watch the next episode of whatever series I have decided to pick up – because my nerves have become heightened thoroughfares of adrenalin pumping anxiety about whether my couple will ever get together! Ahh skinship, how I love to love you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© 2011 Aimes & Kidge, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena