Saturday 30 November 2013

K-Drama Review: Master’s Sun

Written by Kidge.

I love this show. Enough said really, but where would the fun be in that? If you are looking for a fun, easy to watch rom-com with fantastic chemistry and acting, look no further, you have found what you were looking for.

Quick summary
A woman was in a coma for several years and woke up being able to see ghosts. Said woman meets a wealthy man with a troubled past, who makes the ghosts vanish every time she touches him. Best set-up for skinship ever.

Thoughts:
The casting of this show is brilliant. I am a big fan of So Ji-sub ever since I saw him in 'Always (Only You)'. He does melodrama quite well, but who knew he could be so darn funny? Joo Joong-won’s absolute sense of entitlement made for some hilarious interactions with Tae Gong-shil, played but the wonderful Gong Hyo-jin. Their chemistry and timing was fantastic. It’s one of those things that I’m sure directors would love to be able to predict, but really, the way that a relationship plays out on screen ends up being a bit of a lucky dip.

Their chemistry was aided by the fact that the whole premise of the show demanded frequent touching, and let’s be honest, who is going to complain about that? Yep. No one. I don’t know if it’s because the leads are slightly older than the average 20 something startlets, but their skinship was so much less awkward than the average K-drama, which involves many deer in the headlights moments of touching and kissing. Sigh. How I dislike you. But never fear, this drama, while being very tame (it is the Hong Sisters after all) provides you with many a squee moment and general wonderfulness that makes your heart melt into a puddle of mush. Particularly when Joo Joong-won becomes absolutely whipped: tries waiting 5 rings to pick up a call from Tae Gong-shil, only to cave after 1? Laughing my guts out. 

Although there were issues of pacing towards the end of the show (which was not aided by a short extension), overall the Hong Sisters managed to create something that was multi-layered and didn’t simply devolve into a monster, or in this case, ghost of the week formula. The ‘cases’ always served a purpose and helped move our characters along their love line. Aside from the amnesia episode, which was mercifully short (I hate amnesia in dramas – it always feels so lazy and circular) and an 11th hour introduction of a character who had the potential to thwart my happy ending, I was a very happy camper.

Speaking of happy campers, thank you casting people, for giving me another opportunity to watch Seo In-guk. I lurve him. Sigh. Focus, Focus, Focus. Although in some ways his character was fairly minor, he was a great second lead and provided me with much amusement as he consistently turned down the not so charming Tae Yi-rung. May you continue to grace my screen with your presence.

Overall, I found myself laughing, melting and at surprisingly frequent intervals, yelling at the screen because I was so wrapped up in these loveable characters. Does it say something that while this show was airing, the days that it came online were my favourite days of the week?

Let me know what you thought, and happy viewing. :D

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© 2011 Aimes & Kidge, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena