Monday 16 December 2013

K-Drama Reivew: Shut Up Flower Boy Band

Written by Kidge (with interruptions by Aimes).

How much do I love this show? So, so, so, so, so, so much. Like a whole lot. It has got to be one of the most heartfelt shows, with fantastic chemistry between the cast, and really some of the best bromance out there.

Quick Summary: a bunch of delinquent friends find themselves ousted from their school because it closes down. They are in a band together, and after an altercation with the current hot band from their new school, they decide to compete to show them whose boss.

Thoughts:
Any summary of this show doesn’t really do it justice. When you read the description I feel like it is a turn off, not to mention the name of the show, which makes it sound like a bunch of pretty boys attempting to play music. But this show has so much more to offer than just its initial premise. Do not be put off!

Shut Up has a fantastic cast with amazing chemistry. I am mainly talking about the boys here. I fell in love with Sung Joon in this show, his broody bad boy image and his portrayal of a guy who has made his friends his family. Really the boy’s relationship is the heart of the show. It is their sacrifices for one another that makes your heart stop and melt into a puddle. The fact that they cast mainly unknowns, (barring L from Infinite – who actually managed to impress me, although I still can’t understand his bizarre way of walking – it can only be called a strut) meant that the brotherhood had this feeling of unity because they were all working out this thing together. Honestly, the bromance will practically make you cry. Hands up if you replayed the scene where they go to Lee Hyun-soo’s house after his injury about a million times. Yup, I thought so.

The show just has this really nice almost grungy realist feel to it, thanks to Lee Kwan’s directing. It matches the music that the boys like to play, which can I say is another highlight of the show. The tunes are so catchy that I found myself singing them on and off for many weeks after I had finished watching the show (and not in an annoying ‘Almost Paradise’ way). And yes, Sung Joon, my heart does go thump when I hear you sing. In fact it practically leaps out of my chest.

Another great aspect of this show is its female lead. Jo Bo-ah is a freaking goddess. But more importantly, her character is not a wuss, doesn’t get dragged around by the men in her life, and actually survives on her own and makes her own decisions thank you very much. All I can say is that she was a welcome breath of fresh air after watching so many female roles that honestly felt like the classic Robin Hood damsel in distress. Never mind that most females don’t really fit into that category anymore. Anyway, putting my hobby horse back into its stall. Suffice to say, I was gutted that there was only one kiss, but there were so many other adorably sweet moments between the two that I forgive the production team. But good grief, when those hands intertwined for that kiss I just about keeled over. Oh and the scene with the earphones and Kwon Ji-hyuk unable to contain his grin because she loves his voice – yep I was practically (actually) squealing on your behalf.

Suffice to say that I adore this show, and cannot recommend it highly enough. First loves, best friends, rock bands and a seriously attractive cast – what’s not to love about that?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© 2011 Aimes & Kidge, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena